[lug] Redhat 9 as a firewall

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Mon Aug 11 09:43:58 MDT 2003

Let me be a bit more specific about the requirements

The machine has 2 interfaces eth1 and eth0.

Eth1 is connected to my cable modem
Eth0 is connected to a hub along with the rest of my network.

The redhat 9 machine should act as a DHCP server on eth0. It should pass
along DNS information obtained by DHCP on eth1 (from my ISP).
Eth0 should be setup to a non-routable subnet (IE 10.0.0.X) as well as
assign address based on that address.

The machine should provide NAT services so that all the machines on my
network seem to be transparently connected to the internet.

This machine is also going to serve as a "staging/development" server for my
php/mysql development. It should be running apache, mysql, samba, and ftp.
Ports 80, 22, 20 incoming on eth1 should be routed directly to the firewall
machine.
Port 3389 should be routed to a machine that is inside the network (IE
10.0.0.2).

I had a Linksys hardware device that did all of this for me (well aside from
running apace, mysql, samba and ftp). It worked wonderful, but just kicked
the bucket on me.

So, since this machine is going to be running some other services I was
thinking redhat would be the best (well that and redhat is what I am most
familiar with).

Thanks
-Jason