[lug] Tape backup app

B Giles bldrbear at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:08:37 MDT 2003

>Hmm...news to me.  So how do other backup solutions address this problem?

As Sean mentioned, databases should be backed up via their own tools.  This
isn't a big issue if your database is stored on its own partition and your
tools don't cross partition borders.

For the regular filesystem, anything that goes through the mounted FS is
probably safe since you'll see the kernel pages.  The main thing there is to
avoid files being updated, and for that my tool (always a few months away
from release :-) requires an advisory read lock.  These files can be handled
separately, if necessary.

The main advantage to dump is that it understands things that the OS or
backup tool may not understand.  Dump/restore should handle extended
attributes and ACLs, while tar won't.