[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Aug 11 14:12:05 MDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:09:58AM -0600, Terry Branaman wrote:
>As soon as they sell the first copy under this BS license they should be
>hit with a barrage of suits for copyright infringement and for not
>following the license terms!!!! At about a billion dollars per suit it

My understanding is that they're actually selling you a unixware license
and a guarantee that they won't prosecute you in the event that they
survive getting run over by IBM.  That's how they're selling it, so it
wouldn't really be a violation of the GPL or selling copies of Linux,
they're selling protection.  So far, they aren't making any offers that we
can't refuse.

Remember, IBM *HAS* lost lawsuits.  The one I'm thinking of was an older
supercomputer company, I'm thinking like CDC.  One account I read of it
was that IBM lawyers kept rolling up to the company in limos to pick up
copies of all the paperwork that they had subpoenaed.  It nearly
bankrupted the company, but in the end they did win.

I'm not suspecting that SCO is actually going to be able to pull that
off though.  My impression from what I've read about the claims and how
IBM is responding to it is that SCO doesn't really have a chance.

Sean
--
 I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
 happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others.  -- Jefferson