[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

Terry Branaman t-branaman at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 14:42:35 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 14:12, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:09:58AM -0600, Terry Branaman wrote:
> >As soon as they sell the first copy under this BS license they should be
> >hit with a barrage of suits for copyright infringement and for not
> >following the license terms!!!! At about a billion dollars per suit it
>
> My understanding is that they're actually selling you a unixware license
> and a guarantee that they won't prosecute you in the event that they
> survive getting run over by IBM.  That's how they're selling it, so it
> wouldn't really be a violation of the GPL or selling copies of Linux,
> they're selling protection.  So far, they aren't making any offers that we
> can't refuse.

Hmm. But they are also denying the rights to the code -- their web site
has some FAQs which state that if a company is using a modified version
of Linux that they need to trash it and go to a standard distribution.
So there might at least be copyright issues since they are attempting to
say what can be done with other people's code. It would really be
interesting to get some feedback from lawyers, maybe at a LUG meeting.
--
Terry Branaman <t-branaman at comcast.net>