[lug] Config help needed with mailman and qmail

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Aug 11 14:45:31 MDT 2003

Sean, thanks. I tried that solution and it probably would have worked
but I decided to upgrade to mailman 2.1 instead -- it seems to have good
support for virtual domains.

The thing that was hanging me up was that I was trying to have different
kinds of domains on this system, some virtual and some not. From what
I've been able to puzzle out, email to the virtual domain is handled by
a vpopmail program running as GID=vchkpw whereas email to the real
domain is handled by qmail running as GID=nofiles. AFAIK this is an
intolerable situation for mailman -- no matter how you configure it, one
of those is going to be wrong. (Correct me please if I'm wrong about
this). Anyhow, I decided I didn't need the real domain name to be real,
so I made it go virtual and moved all my lists to the virtual space.
Then I rebuilt mailman with GID-vchkpw and it has been working fine.

I wasn't sure if the lists.cleansoft.net approach would have had the
same problem -- it seemed like it would.

-Mike