[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Mon Aug 11 21:17:52 MDT 2003

Terry Branaman wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 14:12, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:09:58AM -0600, Terry Branaman wrote:
>>

>>>As soon as they sell the first copy under this BS license they should be
>>>hit with a barrage of suits for copyright infringement and for not
>>>following the license terms!!!! At about a billion dollars per suit it
>>>

>>My understanding is that they're actually selling you a unixware license
>>and a guarantee that they won't prosecute you in the event that they
>>survive getting run over by IBM.  That's how they're selling it, so it
>>wouldn't really be a violation of the GPL or selling copies of Linux,
>>they're selling protection.  So far, they aren't making any offers that we
>>can't refuse.
>>

>Hmm. But they are also denying the rights to the code -- their web site
>has some FAQs which state that if a company is using a modified version
>of Linux that they need to trash it and go to a standard distribution.
>So there might at least be copyright issues since they are attempting to
>say what can be done with other people's code. It would really be
>interesting to get some feedback from lawyers, maybe at a LUG meeting.

If anyone is interested in coming to the CLUE meeting in Denver tomorrow
night,
we've had a last minute change in our speaker line up.  Matthew Porter,
an attorney
based in Golden, specializing in litigation and technology-related
matters, will discuss
the SCO claims of copyright infringement.  Matt has a background in
computer
science and has used Linux enthusiastically since 1998.  Matt's talk
will begin at
6:30 p.m..  Directions are on our website
<http://clue.denver.co.us/meetingInfo.html>.