[lug] OT: vnc

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 13 17:01:21 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 18:31, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Hugh Brown said:
> > I am trying to use a linux box to connect to a windows machine running
> > XP Home.  I have installed TightVNC on the windows box and set it to run
> > as a service.  When I log in and set the password for vnc, I can
> > connect.  As soon as I log out of windows, I can no longer connect.
> >
> > Has anyone had this problem?
>
> This is normal operation of VNC on Win32.  (Unless you pay a bunch of
> extra money for a terminal server) Windows has no concept of multiple
> graphical logons.
>
> That is to say that on *NIX VNC /is/ an X server, and you can inherently
> have more than one.  On windows it simply redirects the "desktop", of
> which there is only one.
>
> Hope this helps.

I didn't word my question well.  Normally I install vnc (e.g. on win2k)
and from a linux workstation, I can start vncviewer and then log in to
the windows machine, run an app, irritate users in front of it, etc.  On
this particular WinXP Home machine, when I try to connect, I get
"Authentication failed."  So I go sit in front of the XP box, log in,
change the password in the vnc systray applet.  Walk back to my linux
box, test the connection and everything is happy.  I then walk back to
the Windows box and log it out.  I try to connect to Windows box again
with vncviewer and I get the Authentication Failed error message again.

I have tried both TightVNC and RealVNC and have gotten the same results
in both cases.

Hugh