[lug] latest on American ISP (colocation woes)

B Giles bldrbear at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:47:36 MDT 2003

The latest on the American ISP defies belief.

I was finally able to pick up my system late last week.  The owner greeted
me and tried to keep my business, helpfully pointing out that once they
learned that my system wasn't responding (even though the network would have
remained dark.... hmm...) they hooked up a monitor and keyboard and told it
to proceed through an FSCK and it was now up and would I please stay?

No.

Anyway, I got a statement from them today.  I learned that my credit card
has been charged for two months of service, on the 3 and 6th.  On the third
I was charged for service from 7/21 to 8/20... despite the fact that most of
that period was spent in the dark after the unannounced move.

On the sixth, after verbally leaving an unambigious message that no further
charges on my credit card were authorized, I was charged for service from
8/21 to 9/20.

These charges haven't been reversed, even though I yanked the system due to
nonperformance.  (Again, I got the mail today, even though the charge went
through on the 6th and there's a statement date of the 10th.)

Needless to say I am not pleased.  The charge on the third... shit happens,
they're busy, I understand.

But the charge on the 6th was far outside of the norms of standard practices
and, to me, proves that this company can't be trusted.  So I'm not going to
cry over spilled milk, I'm going to treat it like the criminal fraud that it
appears to be and report fradulent activity on my credit card.  That means
filing out the fraud paperwork and having a new CC issued.