[lug] colo at home info

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 14 17:47:59 MDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 05:02:13PM -0600, B Giles wrote:
>But they're still Qwest.  I repeatedly said that I didn't need an ISP
>because I would be self-hosting - I don't need their web or email servers,

You *DO* need an ISP with Qwest DSL, because otherwise your packets
aren't going anywhere.  Qwest DSL provides you with an ATM endpoint.
Unless there's an ISP on the other end, that's not going to do you much
good.  The ISP that they're asking about is not only for things like a
mail server, their router that terminates their ATM connection sets up
their end of your DSL line and handles routing that out to the public
Internet (in most cases).

So, unless "I would be self-hosting" meant "I have a T1 or DS-3
megacentral line installed" (in which case you are the ISP), you *DO*
need that ISP to go along with your DSL line.

Sean
--
 "The phrase ``ship it!'' is one with long and deep resonances in my
 benighted and antiquated big-software-dept career." -- John Shipman, 1998