[lug] Rack for colo coop?

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Aug 15 08:12:05 MDT 2003

Sean Reifschneider writes:
> One place I'd recommend you look is Cogent.  They have a deal where you
> can get a full rack with 100mbps of connectivity for $3k/month.  A great
> deal, if you can get 10 to 20 people to commit to putting boxes there
> right up front and you all need similar, fairly large amounts of
> bandwidth.

100mbps?  Or burstable 100mps with 1mbps included in the price and
increases for aggregate use?  I don't know anybody that will offer
100mbps continuous for anything less than $100/mbps (without the rack
and starting at around 50mbps continuous).  I run several commercial
services, and they aggregate to less than 1mbps.

In any case, get at least two quotes.  It really pays to shop around.
Represent yourself or one company, not a collection of 10 to 20
people.  Absorb the risk of taking a longer term contract.

I am with ViaWest, and I have two racks with 10mbps burstable.  I'm
not quoting prices, because I probably can't but I can note had a
competitive bid from Inflow.

My guess is that you probably can get around $600 to $700 per rack if
you sign up for two years.  I'm not sure if this will work with one
rack or not.  They often have deals where you don't have to pay for 6
months, and then start paying a higher rate.  You probably won't be
charged for installation.

Rob