[lug] colo at home info

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Aug 16 00:57:31 MDT 2003

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:23:15AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
>>for something like 22 days (back when I calculated it) 24 hours a day to
>>hit the cap on the circuit I have.  I'm not planning on getting
>

> I'm quite sure your math had issues.  They've switched their pricing
> quite a lot, so I don't know exactly which math you were doing.  For
> 95th percentile, that adds up to around 1.5 days of usage.  It looks
> like their pricing now is .5, 1, and 3 GB/month of traffic.

Hmm?  What's this about 95th percentile?  I'm pretty sure FRII is still
a "maximum number of bits TOTAL transported" cap, not a 95th percentile
rate average useage style cap.

> 1GB averages to 4kbps, in which case you must have a pretty nasty DSL
> line if that's anywhere near your full bandwidth.  For a 256kbps DSL, it
> would take about 8 hours at full rate to exceed 1GB of traffic.

Yep that's the same rate page I've always seen there...

http://www.frii.net/services/qwestdsl.html

Their cap is 10GB/month for their lowest Qwest DSL option, and
20GB/month for most of their Qwest DSL offerings.  We'll use the higher
cap... now you can all laugh at my math skills here...

Remember, this is if I'm serving things from my house, not from their
facility -- they have hosting plans for that, and I was going by Bear's
"colo at home" subject line meaning that he wanted to host it out of his
house...

20GB per month = 20000000000 [bytes/month] * 8 [bits] =  160000000000
[bits] per month, before getting charged for going over the cap.

My line here is 640Kb/s.  We'll use the faster (download) side... just
for an example.  Obviously if I were hosting from here I'd pay Qwest
more to go to 640/640 or faster and jump up to one of their commercial
DSL plans which is also higher.  (The darn loop qualifies for 7Mb/1Mb
but I'm not paying for THAT! :-) )

The math:

160000000000 [bits] / 640000 [bits/second] = 250000 seconds we can run
at full rate without hitting the monthly cap.

250000 [seconds] / 60 [seconds] = 4166.7 (rounded) [minutes]

4166.7~ [minutes] / 60 [minutes] = 69.5~ [hours]

69.5~ [hours] / 24 [hours] = 2.893185 [days] at full data rate.

So you were right, I goofed the math before... but even at that, I've
never gone over the cap... even when downloading CD images, etc.  Or
maybe I have and they're just not watching very closely?  ;-)  I don't
know really... never bothered to set up MRTG here at the house.  Heh.

> For their non-business DSL lines, they only include 0.5GB of included
> bandwidth, so make that 4 hours.

You were reading their bandwidth cap for stuff you put on their server.
  You can serve much more from your end of the pipe than they allow from
the free and limited space they give you on their server, but of course
their server is faster...

The "bandwidth from our server" number is on the left in the above URL,
the "bandwidth from your DSL line" is the bigger one on the right.

> That's a nice thing about Comcast, we didn't have to get cable TV to get
> the net service.

Yeah, agreed there.  I can't get it here in Centennial.  They're
supposedly coming... but I can't get two large blocks of static IP's
from them either... so I'll probably have to stay with DSL for now...
my VoIP junk here needs real addresses.

They have a 30GB/month hosted server option also with 500 MB disk space,
MySQL, the usual goodies at $79.95/month or $879.45/year.  I just
mention it because I just saw it... I think there are better hosting
deals out there...?  Never priced them... never used any of them.

They also have this "special" posted right now for co-lo...

Colocation/Ethernet
New colocation and ethernet customers will receive monthly bandwidth at
$495 per meg on a 1 year contract or $395 per meg on contracts 2 years
or longer. Valid April 1 through September 30, 2003.

They don't say what they charge for rack space/power/whatever else they
charge, to go with that... but that looks better than many for co-lo
bandwidth?

Man it's late.... Zzzzzzzzz time.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com