[lug] Rack for colo coop?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 16 17:43:50 MDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 09:15:04AM -0600, Rob Nagler wrote:
>Sean Reifschneider writes:
>> 100mbps.  You can get 1gbps for $30,000/month.
>
>Perhaps we're having a terminology issue.  Here's an example of prices:

I don't think so.  By "100mbps for $3,000/month", I meant that they will
give you a fast ethernet connection and you can push as much bandwidth
across it as you like, within the confines of fast ethernet signaling,
up to 100mbps (around 12MB/sec).

>For an OC-3 (155mpbs), this site says you'll be paying around
>$50K/month, not $3K/m.  For 1gbps, you can probably get by with an
>OC-12 (622mbps) for ++$100K.

Yes, if you bought an OC3 it'd probably cost you around that much from
most ISPs.  Much of that cost is for the OC3 line.  For example, for an
OC3 ATM running at 155mbps (because I have the numbers handy for that),
the line alone, would cost over $13,000.  That's for just the line.

If you're in a colo facility connected via ethernet, you aren't directly
paying the overhead for getting that bandwidth to you via OC3.

Still, it makes Cogent look like a really good deal, if you can make use
of that bandwidth.

>Are you sure this is 1gbps/month of Internet connectivity or a gigabit
>ethernet connection.  What's Cogent's upstream pipe?

It's for 100mbps or 1gbps of bandwidth, not just a port charge for the
connection to them.  They don't really say exactly what their connection
from Denver to Sacramento and Denver to Kansas City is.  They imply that
it's 80gbps delivered over OC192s.

Sean
--
 -rw-rw-rw-:  File permissions of the beast.  (Chuck Phillips)
 mknod /dev/beast c 6 66