[lug] N00b: Security Warning Fun

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:20:12 MDT 2003

Folks, I just got a Procmail Security daemon message from uwaterloo
saying:

*** SECURITY WARNING ***
Our email gateway has detected that your message to
jwwalker msgid=<200308191900.h7JJ0nA01475 at watarts.uwaterloo.ca>
MAY contain hazardous embedded scripting or attachments, or has been
rejected by our site security policy for some other reason. If you have
a question, please reply to this notification message.

It goes on to say that I sent "wicked_scr.scr", which is one of the
Sobig.F files.  Now am I right in assuming the worm spoofed my address
and sent this out?  I never use mail on Windows, so I'm pretty sure *I*
didn't send it, but I've never gotten one of these warnings before.

Sorry for a dumb question, but as I said, this is new to me.

Matt

--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good