[lug] Rack for colo coop?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 19 14:06:23 MDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:00:30PM -0400, Joseph McDonald wrote:
>told I could get up to 7MB/s. I think they probably meant
>7mbps for $400 a month. Maybe not, but when talking line speed

The nice thing about the QWest DSL is that it is fairly symmetric,
unlike the ADSL offers most places have.  Until you get above 1mbps,
that is...  7mbps includes only 1mbps outbound speed, as does the 4mbps
service.  Many of the ADSL places are providing more like 1.5mbps down,
but only around 384kbps up.

The other day I saw an offer on /. about one of the DSL providers that
was offering 3mbps/768kbps.  Unfortunately, it's not available in my
area.

In similar news, I work with the northern Colorado Internet Coop, and we
just deployed a 5mbps "LADS" line for one of our members.  Haven't
really stressed it, but it looks pretty good so far.  It's actually a
pair of LADS lines (two pairs), with the termination box at each end
bonding, and if one line dies it will continue to limp along on the
other line.  Line cost is $116/month, apparently...  Oh, and that's
symmetric bandwidth.  Not bad for the bandwidth of 3 T1s.

Sean
--
 There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them.
                 -- Heisenberg