[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Aug 20 08:59:40 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 09:32, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> How can they justify this?  They are distributing GPLed code, so why can't
> I just pay for one and install it on 10 or 100 machines?  I can only ask
> for support on 1, of course, but is there any legalities keeping me from
> doing multiple installs?

I think it's because the binaries are not GPL, just the source is.  What
they have to do is make source available for those binaries and then
only to those who actually ask (they don't even have to put it online if
they don't want).  The CDs can be licensed like this, most especially if
they have proprietary applications included on the CD.

The GPL doesn't prevent companies from making money with GPL'd code in
this way.  It does try to level the playing field, however, by making
sure code is available to those who ask for it.

Interesting side note:  It appears Evolution's automatic spell checking
doesn't recognize "GPL".  It keeps underlining it while I type this
message.  Hmmm.....
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com