[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

Michael Belanger mrb at ciclops.swri.edu
Wed Aug 20 09:59:38 MDT 2003

Is it possible that we would be buying support and value-added services
rather than the actual code/binaries?  Depending on what they are
charging,  the cost could be augmented by the use of GPL software.  So..
If it were all Redhat, the cost may be double or triple what they plan
on charging.

I don't feel that when you are buying a distribution of linux you are
actually buying GPL'd software.

There are a lot of things that I can see as value-added when you buy
various linux distributions.  I believe this was probably mentioned in
other posts as well.

Dollar for Dollar, I think it is cheaper to buy Red-hat than it is to
download all the source and compile/test/configure all that yourself --
especially if you are 'on the clock'.  $25/hour for your time?  10 hours
of compiling?  do the math.  $100 is cheap.

Just MHO.

:)

-Michael Belanger
DB Programmer/Systems Administrator - Cassini Imaging and Operations
JABBER: 	mrb at jabber.ciclops.swri.edu
Yahoo:		darthwonka