[lug] N00b: Security Warning Fun

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 12:23:33 MDT 2003

The Matt wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 13:27, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
>
> >I've noticed an unsual high amount of spam coming through as well.  Some
> >with this subject, some with others, but all with a .pif attachment.  My
> >firewall filters out .pif's so i'm not too concerned, but it's
> driving my
> >users crazy (sometimes, emails come once a minute or so).  Anyone
> else seen
> >this or have an explanation??
>

> It is Sobig.F:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.html
>
> Whee!

Yes and I realize I said sophos on my last email, but it is sobig I
think. Not sure...anyway, I don't allow microsoft products to touch
email on my machines. But the lesson is that when someone else gets the
virus, it forges someone else's address makes them do all the work to
stop it. "It's easy to use Micorosoft products! Someone else will do the
work for you when you wish to be stupid!".

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net