[lug] how to track forged packets in a virus spoof

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Aug 22 09:33:06 MDT 2003

Mr Viggy wrote:

> That's what I thought originally.  But a friend was able to connect to
> my Linux box to FTP stuff, before I got the VPN safe addy.  Of course,
> that doesn't mean too much.  But I would think that they would filter
> incomming 21 packets.
>
> Anyhow, it doesn't really bother me.  I haven't had a problem.
>
> :-)

Ooooh... was the original address an RFC 1918 address?  (10.x.x.x,
172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x?)

Perhaps they were giving you a non-routable addresses and when you call
and say you want to run VPN software they assign you a real IP address?

(Don't get me started on *that* practice... grrr... my Voice-over-IP
project trying to help newbies through basic setup of these boxes
sometimes runs into THAT garbage, and it's one of the reasons sited for
the SpeakFreely project officially going to "end of life" status... and
it's really hard to explain to people that they didn't get a "real"
Internet connection from their mom and pop ISP out in the boonies
somewhere.)

Hmm actually if your friend was FTP'ing stuff from you, that's probably
not the case...

Oh well... interesting stuff.  "VPN safe"... bah humbug!  :-)

Gimme a real normal boring old standard IP address and let me get on the
"real Internet" as I've heard it called by some large AOL competitors in
advertising lately.  (GRIN)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

"A mind is like a parachute--you should open it only in certain
very specific life-threatening situations." - Frank Willison