[lug] CD rip/encode

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon Aug 25 17:53:34 MDT 2003

I need to make backups and PC based copies of my CD collection.

The process I am looking for is:

1. Pop in a CD.
2. Run a command (or hit a button).
3. Walk a way for a bit.
4. Come back to an open CD tray.  Pop in a CDR.
5. Walk away for a bit.
6. Come back to an open tray containing a copy of the CD.
7. Find a set of vorbis files on my hard disk, with names derived from
CDDB. 8. Repeat as necessary.

The requirements are:

1. Paranoid riping (some of my CDs aren't in great shape).
2. Playlist and filename generation based on CDDB.
3. Support of the oggenc --quality switch.

I'd really like to be able to:

1. Customize the way the output filenames are structured (I want
artist-album-tracknum-trackname.ogg). 2. Tweak other details, so I'd
prefer a shell or perl script driven system.