[lug] CD rip/encode

Jani Averbach jaa at cc.jyu.fi
Mon Aug 25 18:20:11 MDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> I need to make backups and PC based copies of my CD collection.
>
> The process I am looking for is:
>
> 1. Pop in a CD.
> 2. Run a command (or hit a button).
> 3. Walk a way for a bit.
> 4. Come back to an open CD tray.  Pop in a CDR.
> 5. Walk away for a bit.
> 6. Come back to an open tray containing a copy of the CD.
> 7. Find a set of vorbis files on my hard disk, with names derived from
> CDDB. 8. Repeat as necessary.
>
> The requirements are:
>
> 1. Paranoid riping (some of my CDs aren't in great shape).
> 2. Playlist and filename generation based on CDDB.
> 3. Support of the oggenc --quality switch.
>
> I'd really like to be able to:
>
> 1. Customize the way the output filenames are structured (I want
> artist-album-tracknum-trackname.ogg). 2. Tweak other details, so I'd
> prefer a shell or perl script driven system.

I have a set of various shell-script that make this kind (ripping) quit
easy. I have converted my whole CD-collection to the ogg by this system.

The system will generated CD-id+timestamp based filenames, and xml-file,
which will contain artist, album, track number, length etc information.
After that, there is utility wich will generate symlink based
artist/album/track#-trackname.ogg file structure. Those original files are
stored to the separeted location.

However, my computer is out of order atm, so if you are interested, you
have to wait, until I get it up and running again. =)

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach