[lug] Minimalist Linux Install

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Aug 27 14:07:08 MDT 2003

zirotea asked:

> I'm looking to put linux on a 200MHz laptop, with 128megs of RAM, and
> a 10 gig disk.  I'm wondering what distrubtion and tweaking people
> would recommend?

Heh, when you said "minimalist" I assumed you would be asking about a
486 with 8MB of RAM or something.  The configuration you describe is
hardly minimalist, and I suspect any of the major distributions will
install and run just fine on the system.

One problem you'll undoubtably see is trying to run KDE (or other
heavyweight desktops) on a 200MHz processor.  It'll probably crawl,
although you could disable all the eye candy and combobox animations,
etc.  You might consider a "lighter" desktop like IceWM, WindowMaker,
or even FVWM...

$0.02,
Jeff