[lug] Minimalist Linux Install

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Aug 28 11:53:21 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 04:02 pm, zirotea at cyberspace.org wrote:
> I'm looking to put linux on a 200MHz laptop, with 128megs of RAM, and a
> 10 gig disk.  I'm wondering what distrubtion and tweaking people would
> recommend?
>
> Important things for this machine to do:
>
> 1.) Have support for an 802.11b wireless card.
> 2.) Run KDE, KOffice, etc.
> 3.) Run rdesktop

I wouldn't recommend KDE with a 200MHz CPU.  It'll run, but it won't be
happy.

When I had only 128M on a 500MHz Gentoo system I found that running KDE was
a little slow.  I switched to XFCE and was pretty happy.  I still ran
Konqueror for my browser.

I added another 64M of ram and it's rpetty happy now running mandrake.

Michael