[lug] raid card

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 2 16:07:43 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <hugh at math.byu.edu>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 2:06 PM
Subject: [lug] raid card

> I have an SX4000 promise raid card.  The drivers on the website don't work
> with the currently released redhat kernel for rh9.  I found a page that
> had some source, compiled it, but that didn't work either.

Not that this directly helps your situation, but there was a discussion
about the various RAID stuff somewhere... ahh, was that here last week?
Hmmm... sigh... can't remember.  Too many lists.

Anyway, the summary seemed to be that the way to go if you're buying a new
RAID card these days is 3Ware's cards.  They release their drivers
completely to the community and they've been integrated into the kernel for
some time now.

Adaptec has gotten so militant people won't deal with them.

And Promise suffered from the type of problems you're seeing... kernel
changes, card stops working until someone at Promise or elsewhere figures
out what was messed up.

Just some info on what I was reading... no experience with any of them
lately.  Been playing a bit with software RAID though.  :-)

Now where the heck was I reading that.. argh... didn't bookmark it either...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com