[lug] modem woes with RH-9

Jim Vickroy Jim.Vickroy at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 9 08:32:47 MDT 2003

Hello,

I am trying to move from MS Windows XP to Red Hat Linux 9; I have been
unable to get RH-9 to work with my modem.  Here are some particulars.

The modem is a Conextant HSF56k HSFi (rev 1) so I went to:

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downloads-rh-i586.html

and downloaded:

hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpm

which should be correct for my RH kernel version (uname -r ==> 2.4.20-8)

I installed this rpm and received indication that the modem is
accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0.  So far so good.

Next, on my computer, I go to:

Red Hat Icon (start menu) | system settings | network

and try to configure.  After a short interval, I still receive a
message that no modem was found, but I proceed with the configuration
by manually typing an entry for /dev/ttySHSF0.

I also ran hsfconfig which assured me "all is well", but it isn't.

The modem, now, at least, dials but never seems to get a successful
connection, because, after a brief interval, it redials and repeats
this process until I terminate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  As Linux "newbie", this has been
a very painful experience.

-- jv