[lug] modem woes with RH-9

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 9 10:03:05 MDT 2003

Unfortunately you appear to have one of the oddballs.  Yeah, they're
painful.

I don't have any thoughts on the topic on how to get that particular modem
working, but a more standard (cheap) modem that's not a WinModem (audio
processing done by the PC, not the modem itself) will probably work better.

I have used external modems for years for just this reason... they always
work and they give better indications of what they're doing than
internals...

The "beta" in the name of the RPM worries me a bit in your particular case.
:-)

It's a good sign that it's dialing -- if it's dialing it's communicating
well enough to pass data.  Just a quick check, are there two plugs on the
back of it.  Many modems have a "phone" port that is disabled via a relay
when the modem is off-hook.  I've plugged into that port a million times and
then scratched my head for a few minutes wondering why things are not
working.  If your modem has two phone line RJ11 jacks, try swapping.  Maybe
the modem really isn't seeing the phone line.

Let us know how it goes...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com