[lug] Best block size?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Sep 15 12:41:12 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 12:19, The Matt wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 11:53, Gary Hodges wrote:
> >
> > I was going to format it ext3.  I've never really considered using a
> > filesystem other than ext2 or ext3.  No plans to NFS or RAID of any
> > type.  If I use ReiserFS does the whole system have to be that or can I
> > just make that one disk ReiserFS?
>
> You should be able to just mount that disk as reiserfs.  I sometimes
> have my home box with /boot as ext3 (for grub's sake) and / as reiser.
>
> In fact, in your case, you might want to try out mounting the disk
> noatime,notail if you are looking for pure speed.  If you want better
> disk efficiency, just noatime should be good (unless you need atime,
> that is).
>
> Caveat:  I am just sort of a hobbyist at Linux.  There might be warnings
> from more experienced admins here about Reiser.  I know that some
> programs like dump might have problems with it.  So if you don't back up
> via tar/pax, you might want to wait for others to chime in.
>
> Matt

For the most speed, use defaults,noatime,nodiratime,notail in your
/etc/fstab line.

As for backups, the dump program has been a bad idea for a couple of
kernel versions now.  Something to do with the differences between
page/buffer/file cache means that dump doesn't read the most current
information from the file system.

Reference:
http://lwn.net/2001/0503/a/lt-dump.php3
--