[lug] upgrading from redhat-6.1

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Sep 15 19:46:05 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 16:14, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
>
> > First off, I would suspect it might be easier to just backup the
> > users data and do a clean install.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree.  I find that when doing a major upgrade it's
> invariably easier to just preserve the user data and reinstall the OS.
> It saves a lot of time, headache, and frustration.  In attempting an
> upgrade there will be hundreds of dependency problems, as each package
> you try to upgrade will undoubtably depend on a newer version of some
> other package.  The incompatibilities between RPM 3 and 4 are only the
> beginning.

I also found that older set-ups get preserved.  e.g. I had a laptop with
a "special" on board video chip that used system ram for video ram.
Dell did a poor job of allocating memory to it in the bios, so the
version of XFree86 shipped through RedHat 8 wouldn't work with it (had
to go with XiGraphics).  I upgraded to RedHat 9 and it still wouldn't
work.  However, when I did a clean install of RedHat 9, XFree86 just
worked.

Hugh