[lug] unreadable CDs

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Wed Sep 17 09:30:32 MDT 2003

Hi,
When I try to read a bogus CD on my Redhat 9 laptop it goes
into a long error recovery loop, retrying the bad sector.

Meanwhile the rest of the system is essentially frozen.
This takes about 10 minutes.  Is there any way to
instruct the driver, or whatever, to try once or twice
and then give up instead of all the retries?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com

   Mathcom Solutions Inc.: Custom Software Development.
    * Mathematical optimization, simulation, and modeling.
    * Data mining, information retrieval.
    * Java, XML, C++, Mathematica, Matlab, XSLT, XQuery, SOAP, RMI, ...

http://www.mathcom.com    303-494-7115