[lug] [Sorta-OT] Linux->Solaris Porting Bug

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Sep 17 16:37:50 MDT 2003

David Morris wrote:

> Appologies for the (mostly) OT post, but I'm getting close
> to my wits end on a bug:
>
> I'm porting an application I wrote from Linux (x86) to
> Solaris 8 (sparc).  Everything works just fine with only
> linking changes with one exception:  I cannot redirect
> output from the program.  For example:
>
>     a.out > foo.txt
>
> The file "foo.txt" is empty.  The application is (I think)
> at least partially running, but it definately is not at full
> functionality (has several network connections and keyboard
> input to test with).

If you are getting output from stderr or stdlog you won't get a redirect
that way. Are you positive the output is stdout?

Also, I see a.out, it makes me think of a local file not in the path.
I'm guessing you just left that off for demo purposes, but if it really
were a.out and not in the local file path, then foo.txt would be empty
because it didn't find a.out.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net