[lug] Re: LUG digest, Vol 1 #2250 - 14 msgs

dave.hagerty at bigfoot.com dave.hagerty at bigfoot.com
Thu Sep 18 14:02:54 MDT 2003

> I'm porting an application I wrote from Linux (x86) to
> Solaris 8 (sparc).  Everything works just fine with only
> linking changes with one exception:  I cannot redirect
> output from the program.  For example:
>
>     a.out > foo.txt
>
> The file "foo.txt" is empty.  The application is (I think)
> at least partially running, but it definately is not at full
> functionality (has several network connections and keyboard
> input to test with).

David,

   Forgive me if this has already been suggested.  Have you looked
at it with truss under Solaris?  On my Solaris 9 system, I wrote
hello, world and trussed it (truss a.out).  Here's the (noddy)
output:

ioctl(1, TCGETA, 0xFFBFDD1C)                    = 0
fstat64(1, 0xFFBFDC38)                          = 0
Hello world
write(1, " H e l l o   w o r l d\n", 12)        = 12
_exit(1)

Note the write on fd 1 (i.e. stdout) and the fact that it
returns a 12 (the number of characters in Hello world\n).
Can you do this in the offending application?

                                  Dave

Dave Hagerty
... and they that weave networks, shall be confounded.
Isaiah 19:9 (KJV)

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 98 or better'. So I installed Linux."

"There is no limit to the good you can do if you don't care who gets the
credit." - George C. Marshall