[lug] Sending Email To Multiple Recipients

Arlan Ramsay ramsay at euclid.Colorado.EDU
Sun Sep 21 16:26:11 MDT 2003

Using pine, when the cursor is on the "To" line, type ^R, for "Rich
headers". This gives the opportunity for Bcc and also for Lcc, "List"
copies.  If that doesn't do what you want, here is a script that may be
what you want:

#
foreach i (`cat $2`)
mail -s $1 $i < $3
end

I got this from a friend, and call it 'listemail'.  It works this way:

I have a file with one email address per line, say 'thislist'.
I have a file containing the message, say 'thismessage'.
If the subject is 'emergencymeeting', the invocation is

listemail emergencymeeting thislist thismessage

so the subject is the first argument (that is what -s does), the file with
the addresses is the second and the file with the message is third.

I have tested it by putting my own address in the list more than once, and
notice a difference in times the message is delivered to me, so it isn't
instantaneous, but it isn't terribly slow either.

I hope this helps.

Arlan Ramsay