[lug] lvm + raid

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 22 01:53:20 MDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:39:04PM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
>Is doing lvm on top of raid 5 (3ware card) a bad idea?

Definitely not.  When you add that second card, with another 300GB, you
can then add it to the first logical volume and extend the partition to
600GB using something like ext2resize, so a single partition covers both
drives.  Yay!

>Also, should I expect a mkfs on a 300gig partition to put the load up
>around 3?

It certainly could.  If you are booted off a partition on that same
drive, I/O on the other partitions may have to wait until some of the
I/O related to the mkfs gets flushed.

I didn't notice on the new RAID array I just built at home.  I wasn't
really so impatient that I went over to another window and checked the
system load during the 30 or 45 seconds it took to mkfs on my 300 or
700GB partitions...

Sean
(JFS, baybee)
--
 Obtuse: Not pointed or acute. Exceeding 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.
 OOOooh!  Rounded at the free end.  Dull...  Hey!  That's an insult!  -- WKRP