[lug] Fedora

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Sep 24 12:23:18 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 13:52, Joseph McDonald wrote:
> >   "fedora project" - will be like the Debian testing branch with
> >     folks from RH mostly taking the lead on coordinating releases,
> >     choosing packages which packages/vers go in, writing docs,
> >     etc.  RH will *NOT* be selling or formally supporting (in terms
> >     of service contracts) the Fedora Project in a direct fashion.
> >
> >   RHEL (of which there are currently 3 flavors) will be like Debian
> >     stable and will be sold and supported by RH for relatively long
> >     release cycles.  RHEL will, over time, "absorb" the versions of
> >     packages that are used/tested/etc in the fedora project.
>
> So going forward only RHEL is suitable for production systems? You can't
> expect to run RHL in production unless you pay (a bunch) for a license? I
> think you can kiss RHL's dominant position goodbye. Let's say I want to
> roll out a RHL webserver farm. Does Redhat expect me to pay around a grand
> for a license, then a monthly fee to subscribe to their errata/rhn service?
>
> There's sure to be a stigma associated with running a testing branch in
> production.

Hi Joey,

Yes, there does seem to be a big push by RH to get people to run one of
the RHEL versions.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do between now and
the RH 9 end-of-life on April 30, 2004.  I'll probably run whatever the
Fedora Project is producing on my laptop and RHEL ES on the few servers
that I'm maintaining.

And I think you're over-estimating the cost.  You can get RHEL ES for
$350 and that *includes* one year of RHN.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com