[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Thu Sep 25 10:21:19 MDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:15:49AM -0600, Andrew Gilmore wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 15:53, Joseph McDonald wrote:
>
> [snip] comments and replies.
>
> > It seems we're not the only ones either..
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-September/msg00963.html
>
> This post is a VERY good summary of the problems I see in the new Redhat
> Strategy.
>
> I am not sure what I am going to do. I may just have to fall back on
> Solaris for production use, since I'm not that deeply into Linux for
> production.

Consider Debian. It has much of what RH offers, and is not dependent on
a large revenue stream in order to stay alive. It has some quirks, but
RH also has some. I am a small user of Debian. I left RH when they
committed to gcc 2.96. That was just too scary for me. The transition
was somewhat painful, mainly because I had almost no UNIX skills at the
time. But looking back on it, it was no worse than my initial experience
with RH, which was before RH had gotten kudzu working well.

On the really plus side for Debian: it supports many more hardware
platforms than RH. Some day you may want/need to migrate to a non-i86
platform. The transistion will be much easier for a Debian user than
for a user of a platform specific distribution.

Lastly, Debian will never have an IPO and 'go public'.

When RH was competing with Debian for mind share in the Linux world,
the above might well have been considered a flame, but with RH abandoning
the field, the new question is what should RH users use as a life boat.
Debian is really a viable option.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com