[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 25 11:25:29 MDT 2003

Ed Hill wrote:

>   1) If you want stability (5-year product life) with guaranteed
>      support and updates then you can run RHEL WS or ES for
>      $180/yr or $350/yr for the first year (~100/yr afterwards),
>      with all updates through RHN.
>
>   2) If you want a distro thats in the process of *becoming*
>      the next RHEL and contains more frequently updated packages,
>      then you can run the "Fedora Core".  And if you subscribe
>      to RHN for $60/yr (which is completely optional) then you
>      can get access to updates in exactly the same fashion as
>      the RHEL versions---albeit with a shorter "product
>      lifetime".  You will also be able to get these updates
>      through other (free) channels such as apt and yum.

Because the updated SRPMS for RHEL are made publically available, I
think you'll start seeing reliable apt and yum repositories for RHEL
updates.  If/when this happens, it should be possible to eliminate the
recurring cost of ongoing RHN subscriptions.

On top of that, my understanding is that you can install your copy of
RHEL on multiple boxes, provided you don't expect RHN updates and RH
support for instances beyond the first.

Best case scenario, if I understand all the legalities, this means a
modest initial investment (along with a touch of extra effort and
knowledge) will be all that's required to realize the stability and
longevity benefits of RHEL.