[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu Sep 25 15:07:32 MDT 2003

Andrew Gilmore wrote:
> I am not interested in RHEL ES or WS. I am not interested in spending
> that much money on an operating system. I am having a hard time
> justifying RHN at $60 a year, for perspective.

That's really the problem, isn't it?  Red Hat is a commercial venture,
and their business model is a work-in-progress.  The old "personal"
distribution model might have worked great for *you*, but it wasn't
working for *them*, in terms of generating enough revenue to support the
business.  It takes two to tango, doesn't it?

I agree with others who have suggested Debian may be a better choice if
you're looking for a personal-use- or hobby-oriented distribution with
more stability than what Red Hat is planning for Fedora.