[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 25 16:05:52 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:03, Nate Duehr wrote:
> I do not trust RedHat anymore.  They have the appearance of no longer
> having my best interests at heart, as a non-paying user of their system

My guess is that, as a non-paying user, they weren't really worried
about your trust.  In fact, they probably had no idea you existed unless
you somehow registered as a non-paying user.  They aren't running for
congress.  They're running a business.  And doing a much better job for
paying consumers than MS has.  Had you paid for the service, you might
have stronger arguments here.

> -- even though they never really owed it to me in the first place.  I
> can't blame them, but I also can't trust them anymore.

Trust them for what?  To provide a free service to you forever?
Surprisingly, they're actually doing that.  It just doesn't happen to be
in a form you want.  If you're not paying for their services, what
exactly is it that they owe you in order to earn "trust"?

> They're no
> longer a "helpful partner",

How can they be a partner if you provided nothing to them?  Being a
partner is a two way street.

> Maybe that's the biggest damage... lots of people probably feel similar.
>   The "rules" changed without warning.

Without warning?  How much time did you need?  This has been under
discussion for quite some time.  RH9 is still (I believe, I could be
wrong) being supported.

> Kinda like Verisign's DNS wildcard records for .com and .net this week...

I couldn't disagree more.  Red Hat has been very forthcoming with
information about this change.  Verisign notified next to no one.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com