[lug] new idea about os's

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Fri Sep 26 10:57:23 MDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:50:44AM -0700, bill ehlert wrote:

> here's a very new (to me, anyway) idea
> about os's  --  whether they be windows,
> linux, mac os, bsd, whatever:
>
> that whenever there's one with an
> almost-monopoly position, there's
> an almost-irresistable target for
> crackers.
>
> there has been a report written on
> this, and the place i found it
> written up was  --  The Microsoft
> Certified Professional Magazine!
>
> http://www.mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=613

Maybe M$ being a monopoly makes it a irresistable target,
but Fort Knox is also an irresistable target, and there
is no record of a pre-teen kid breaking into it.

No, the real problem is bad design, and bad information
for users on how to protect themselves. It like selling
safe deposit vaults that have no lock, and in irremoveable
sign announcing "Open".

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com