[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Sat Sep 27 01:54:58 MDT 2003

Ed Hill wrote:
>>>Because it isn't a question of restrictions, it is a question of
>>>pricing.  The RHN service is priced on the basis of how many systems
>>>it is used *for* (and not, as you suggested, on the basis of "direct
>>>connections").  Read the agreement.
>

> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> Would you please post a URL or an excerpt from their license(s) that
> supports the above statement?

"The Service may be used only for the benefit of the Customer and only
for the systems with subscriptions. Customer may not use one
subscription for Services for more than one system concurrently." (I
don't have a URL handy, but this comes from the RHN ToS.)

It is true that the term "Service" is not very clearly defined in the
agreement, but I have it on good authority that Red Hat agrees with my
interpretation correct and requires that its corporate customers to
purchase a subscription for each system running the supported software.
  (In the absence of some very large negotiated deals, of course.)

This, by the way, has always been the way Cygnus priced its support for
GPLed software (mostly the development tool chain) even before Red Hat
bought them.

> On the other hand, I've re-read the GPL and can find plenty of evidence
> there [eg. http://www.redhat.com/licenses/gpl.html] to support my
> claims.  For many of the packages within RHEL, Red Hat must obey the GPL
> terms and therefore cannot add any further restrictions.

I agree that Red Hat can not add any further restrictions to the
packages themselves, but:

a) It is certainly *not* the case that all of RHEL (or RHL for that
matter) is GPLed.  There are large and important portions that are not,
such as XFree86, Apache, etc.

b) Even for those packages that are GPLed, I don't agree that Red Hat
can not set its price for support at $X times the number of systems
running the suported software within the organization.  Since the GPL
does not obligate the distributor to provide support (or any other
service), the terms under which such support or services are provided
are outside its scope.