[lug] lvm + raid

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 27 13:39:03 MDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:12:46AM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
>weren't for raid 5).  Of course this box is going to be a collect all
>for backing up all the other servers company wide, so it probably won't
>take more than a couple of years to fill the thing up.

We have done something very similar at our server space.  We have a 2U
machine with 6 drives in it plus one removable bay which we copy data to
for going off-site.  The main array holds current copies and about 6
months of historic data (daily, weekly, and monthly sorts of
incrementals).

>I had to wait more than 30 or 45 seconds (at least I think I did).

If you were using ext2/3 you would have.  I put JFS on our 600, 300, and
700GB RAID arrays.  One has been running for just under a year now with
no problems.

Sean
--
 Geek English Rule #7: To reduce redundancy, the word "scary" can be left
 out of any statement containing the phrase "scary java applet".