[lug] Best block size?

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sun Sep 28 15:49:24 MDT 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Matthew Snelham said:

> On 17 Sep 2003 03:40 PM or thereabouts, John Karns wrote:
> > > And of course, YMMV.
> >
> > And indeed it does.  I've been using reiserfs on various servers for the
> > past 18 - 24 months without any problems really worth mentioning ... until
> > now.  I've run into a corruption issue with NFS (ver 3 compatibility
> > option set) and 2.4.21 & 2.4.22 kernels with the HIGH_MEM (2GB) enabled
> > w/ "HIGHMEM I/O support" / CONFIG_HIGHIO.  Looks like if I want to use
> > more than 896 MB, I'll have to use another filesystem.
>
> Interesting.  What kind of corruption have you seen, specifically?

Although I didn't encounter the "cannot stat file" error as in previous
isolated cases of reiserfs corruption, both servers on which I experienced
the problem suddenly started giving random unresolved symbol errors, and
false unmatched #ifdef's in header files.  I was unable to compile the
kernel and other pkgs.  Also saw "file not found" errors for common
commands.

> I regularly use ReiserFS as a local filesystem on hosts with 2+ GB of RAM,
> (including the machine I'm typing this on) so I doubt it's HIGHMEM or
> HIGHIO alone that's the problem.

Perhaps a combination of options.  FWIW, the mobos (MSI 745 and KT4A) in
both machines were AMD Athlon, so the kernels were compiled for that
processor.  If I try the HIGHMEM option again, I'll probably change to JFS
or some other journaling fs first.

--
John Karns