[lug] RHEL WS vs ES

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 2 16:44:29 MDT 2003

Gary Hodges wrote:

> I just called Red Hat, and maybe I didn't ask the right questions, but
> I'm unclear on the differences between WS and ES.  Yes, I see capability
> listings under each at the Red Hat site, but I'm unclear if I would be
> able to run any ES capability on a WS system.  And more specifically,
> would up2date work for a ES only package installed on a WS system?
>
> Specifically I'm thinking about ssh.  OK, now that I'm looking at the ES
> capability list again I see that it lists SSL, not SSH.  I don't know if
> SSL is required by SSH, but assuming it is, which for the sake of this
> post isn't really necessary, but anyway...  If I purchased a WS version
> and installed SSL, then a security errata for SSL is released, does
> anyone know if up2date would identify SSL on the WS system and update
> the package?

In the case of SSH, the answer appears to be "yes."  See:
ftp://updates.redhat.com:/enterprise/2.1WS/en/os/SRPMS/openssh*.rpm

I'm pretty sure you can compile that and end up with the openssh-server
RPM.  Now, I can't say for sure that RHN will provide the binary
openssh-server RPMs for a WS license, but it's pretty trivial to get
from A to B in this case.

In the more general case, I don't know if you can get unsupported
server-type updates over RHN with a WS license.