[lug] Re: LUG digest, Vol 1 #2268 - 12 msgs

Brian Stiff bstiff929 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 21:00:10 MDT 2003

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:17:09 -0600
> From: jhswope <jack.swope at bpus.konicaminolta.us>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: [lug] Input needed
>
> I have the opportunity to create a system for an
> engineering office of
> 30-45 people.  I am seeking suggestions for hardware
> (VPN, Firewall).
> And a Linux alternative to MS Exchange Web Access.
> Any suggestions for
> VPN and mail server software would be appreciated as
> well.
> --
> Jack Swope
> Systems Administrator
> Konica-Minolta Systems Laboratory
> Core Technology Laboratory
> Boulder, CO
> (303)443-7227 x 310

Most folks hold the Cisco PIX in high regard for
firewall and VPN, but the cost of deploying a router
in line with a firewall at my employer's small remote
offices looks prohibitive, even for PIX 501's.  We're
looking at turning on the firewall and VPN stuff on
our small IOS routers, and I wondered if anyone had
opinions of the new CBAC functionality and router
client-mode VPN connections.

Thanks for input.

-B