[lug] debian with 2.4 kernel

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Tue Oct 7 20:47:18 MDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:34:49PM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:23, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > I downloaded all 7 cd's.  I chose the bf2.4 install image and when I got
> > to the "would you like to make a boot disk" the system locked up.
> > Doesn't respond to keyboard, had to hard power off.  I tried booting
> > into single user mode and it still locked up.
>

> I did some more searching on the web and found that APIC support is to
> blame.   I tried booting with noapic on the kernel line.  Is there a way
> to disable it so that I can boot to 2.4, rebuild the kernel w/o having
> it crash?

I don't know the answer to the question that you ask, but...

On the seven cds, there are different kernels. try another cd for the
initial boot. one of the others may work better for booting into the
install. and if so, be sure to go back to cd #1 when you are asked to
do so. only cd#1 has the main library of required binaries.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com