[lug] debian with 2.4 kernel

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Thu Oct 9 14:30:43 MDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:59:07AM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 22:51, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> > Hugh Brown said:
> >
> > > I found 2.4.18-686, 2.4.16-686 and tried them both and it didn't work.
> > > I also tried compiling one from the 2.4.18 kernel-source package and
> > > turned off SMP and APIC, but I still get system freezes.
> >
> > Does /anything/ work on this machine?  Windows?  Knoppix?  Your FSF
> > Associate Member card?  (plug: http://member.fsf.org/)  Tom's Root-Boot?
> > (http://www.toms.net/rb/)
> >
> > -Peter
> >

> Currently, I have Windows XP, Redhat 9 and debian with a 2.2 kernel
> working.
>
> I am trying to get a 2.4 kernel so that I can get my wireless card
> working.  I also suspect that the NVIDIA drivers require a 2.4 kernel
> (though the XFree86 shipped with RH 9 works fine for the video card).

I've lost track of just what you have tried in re. debian, but here are
some suggestions.

kernel 2.4 bf24 is an attempt to include everything that is needed by
almost everyone. It should work, but if it doesn't, try kernel 2.4.18.
You say you have tried 2.4.18-686, but did you edit your lilo.conf to
include the needed line initrd=initrd.img ? The bf24 kernel does not
need this. Almost every other 2.4 kernel does in debian. Maybe APIC
being on keeps bf24 from working and lack of initrd keeps other kernels
from working.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon