[lug] Capturing a data stream

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Oct 9 17:18:44 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 22:11, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> Ed Meyer wrote:
> > Is there a way to capture a stream of data as its heading to a device to
> > divert it?
>
> See esddsp and esdmon

Use LD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD and a shared library to override the regular
open, close, read, write, mmap and ioctl calls.  In your shared library,
watch for the dsp device open, and go from there.

I'm pretty sure this is how esddsp does it, so I agree with Jeffrey
about it being a good place to look.

Another way of doing it would be to take some of the Linux user-space
driver relay code (which I can't remember the name of) and make a new
device that you name /dev/dsp, but which really copies the data into a
file.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>