Hardware diag on Inspirons (was Re: [lug] debian with 2.4 kernel)

Andrew Gilmore agilmore at uc.usbr.gov
Fri Oct 10 11:35:40 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:14, Hugh Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 05:34, Nate Duehr wrote:
> > Umm... if they haven't changed the order of the installer, that step is
> > the last one before "reboot".  :-)
> >
> > It used to go "make system bootable", "make boot floppy", "reboot".
> >
> > So if you got that far, just pop the CD out and boot from the hard disk.
> > ;-)
> >
> > Hard to know that if you've never been all the way through that
> > installer before, I realize...
> >
> > Have fun...
>
> I did boot into single user mode afterward (if you look below).  Still
> locked up.  This has been an amazing hassle thus far.
>
> Hugh
>

> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:23:08PM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > > I downloaded all 7 cd's.  I chose the bf2.4 install image and when I got
> > > to the "would you like to make a boot disk" the system locked up.
> > > Doesn't respond to keyboard, had to hard power off.  I tried booting
> > > into single user mode and it still locked up.
> > >
> > > I didn't see anything obvious in /var/log/messages.
> > >
> > > Where should I be looking for problems?  I'd really like to play around
> > > with Debian, but if I can't get it to work with a 2.4 kernel, I'll have
> > > to ditch it.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on where to go next?
> > >
> > > This is on a Dell Inspiron 8100.

Dell ships a Diag CD with their Inspirons (or at least I got one) I
think you can get the image off their site?

Anyway, its Win98 based, but you can just exit their little tool and use
DOS, if you must.

All these bootable Linux testers sound like they might be a little more
advanced, though. :)

Andrew