[lug] debian with 2.4 kernel

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Fri Oct 10 21:45:17 MDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:55:12PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > Currently, I have Windows XP, Redhat 9 and debian with a 2.2 kernel
> > > working.
> > >
> > > I am trying to get a 2.4 kernel so that I can get my wireless card
> > > working.  I also suspect that the NVIDIA drivers require a 2.4 kernel
> > > (though the XFree86 shipped with RH 9 works fine for the video card).
> > >
> > I've lost track of just what you have tried in re. debian, but here are
> > some suggestions.
> >
> > kernel 2.4 bf24 is an attempt to include everything that is needed by
> > almost everyone. It should work, but if it doesn't, try kernel 2.4.18.
> > You say you have tried 2.4.18-686, but did you edit your lilo.conf to
> > include the needed line initrd=initrd.img ? The bf24 kernel does not
> > need this. Almost every other 2.4 kernel does in debian. Maybe APIC
> > being on keeps bf24 from working and lack of initrd keeps other kernels
> > from working.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> I did edit my boot loader to include the initrd but to no avail.  I have
> now tried Knoppix (I'm booted to it right now) and it works fine.  So,
> I guess I need to find the kernel .config file that knoppix uses.

Knoppix is derived from debian. You can find the .config that was used to
build the kernel in /boot. For Knoppix, because it is in ram disk, names
of directories are somewhat non-standard, but look where the kernel image
is. On my Knoppix CD they look like they have been mangled by a pass
thru a Windows NT file system.

The same is true of your working debian with 2.2 kernel. So if you need
to cross-check kernel build parameters, look there also for a reference.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com