[lug] swap space

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 11 16:43:02 MDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:25:32PM -0600, Jeff wrote:
>Is it possibleto force a flush of the swap space without rebooting or
>logging out?  My swap is completely used as is my memory and I think
>that it would help...  Thanks!

If your swap is full, you can kill some applications that are using RAM
or swap.  If you just nuked the stuff in swap, your kernel would get
awfully mad at you.  You can find out the things that are using a lot of
RAM and swap by doing "ps -awlx | sort -nk7" and "ps -awlx | sort -nk8".

Sean
--
 The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done should never
 interrupt the one who is doing it.