[lug] debian setup tool

D. Frye dafr at peakpeak.com
Sat Oct 11 21:18:38 MDT 2003

Hugh Brown wrote:
> The 2.4.18-386 kernel image worked.  Now I need to get pcmcia working
> appropriately (so I can use my wireless card).  When I first installed
> debian, I was lead through a number of system configuration items.  I
> was told "run foo to revisit this configuration process"  I can't
> remember what foo was.  I went looking for debconf (it had stuck in my
> mind) and found that debconf isn't actually a command.  I found
> dpkg-reconfigure, but you have to know the names of the subsystems ahead
> of time.

I just managed to (mostly) configure my new laptop as well, and was more
successful in using Google and writing a script of my own for starting
and stopping the wireless card. It's anything but pretty, but until I
have the time to really figure out what options the card is capable of,
it works and I can connect to most things. (LEAP authentication is the
one that I can't do, based on chipsets.)

> I did a locate on setup and install and didn't find anything useful.

This sometimes happens to me as well. Hence the above mention of Google.
I went with the lspci output and then took to experimentation based on
links and information from the web.

> Along this same vein, what is the debian equivalent to redhat's
> chkconfig and service?

The tool you probably want to look at is "update-rc.d", though, I prefer
to hack the sym-links myself. Call it a personal preference.

> Hugh

HTH,

David

--